9 Feb 2022
The opportunity to purchase the business can be both exciting and nerve-wracking. An MBO presents a tremendous opportunity for managers to control the future direction of the company with the potential to create considerable personal wealth.
There are many pitfalls which can conspire to stop a deal. Management teams do well to take advice and give themselves the best possible chance of success. How can we help deliver your deal?
- Ensure the best approach for the vendor: get this wrong and there is often no way back
- Ensure you understand the real value of the business and communicate that to the owner: you don’t want to overpay and the vendor does not want to sell cheap, it is a fine balancing act
- Raising the necessary finance from equity and debt providers: We help you find the funders who best reflect your plans for the business, it will be a long-term relationship
- Structure a deal which maximizes your equity but does not place too much risk on the business: get this wrong and you could spend time micro-managing cash rather than growing value
- Lead negotiations with the vendor and funders: not only do we know what is possible, but we act as a buffer; emotions can run very high.
- Keep the deal on the rails and deliver completion
We work with exceptional candidates looking to buy into a business, how do we help?
- Identify suitable targets
- Approach targets
- Undertake initial valuation work
- Negotiate an outline deal
- Secure funding
- Deliver completion
“They added real insight in negotiations with landlords and funding parties, worth many times their fee.”
Roger Butt, MD, MBO of Airtex
“They really got to grips with business very quickly as our management were out of their depth.”
Roger Slade, owner, sale of Allslade Plc
“I was recommended Richard Hall and Charles Whelan by one of our clients who spoke very highly of them – they did not disappoint. From the first meeting, they gave sound, practical advice and worked extremely hard to secure a superb result for both the Exiting Shareholders and the Management involved in the Buyout. My fellow Directors and I could not praise them highly enough”.
Rob Frost, CEO, Anglia Business Solutions
“The team used their extensive network to introduce a number of interested funders, helped us to structure and negotiate a deal with the vendors and did an excellent job in holding our hand through the process.”
Paul Cattell, Managing Director, Datwyler UK
“Charles Whelan and his team understood the key issues we were looking to address and focused their work on these, taking an intelligent and commercial approach.”
Paul Cannings, Director, YFM Equity Partners
“I am grateful to Charles’ team who worked tirelessly to ensure the deal completed to an ambitious timetable. They adopted a pragmatic approach throughout, using their market knowledge to secure the most appropriate funding package, which will provide string foundations for future growth.”
Hugh Jarvis, Chairman, Offset Group
“Richard worked tirelessly and did a great job helping us structure the proposal so we covered the downside well, maximised the upside but at the same time kept management highly incentivised. A good job all round.”
Matthew Wright, Brompton Ventures
“Their speed of response was impressive, and they were quick to grasp the fundamentals of the business and follow up with real tangible commitment. Their willingness and ability to structure solutions around a number of difficult areas was key. Even with a tricky history and a couple of complications that were out of our hands, we completed the transaction in 10 weeks.”
Kevin Taylor, CEO, FinSA Pty Ltd
“The team used their extensive network to introduce a number of interested parties and did an excellent job in managing the deal from start to finish.”
Atul Shah, CEO, Hy-Pro International
“The team used their extensive network to introduce a number of interested parties and did an excellent job in negotiating the best package for our requirements.”
Michael Farnon, Managing Director, Micronics Ltd